Duration: 6/ 16 Weeks
College Credit: On Completion
Duration: 6/ 16 Weeks
The Hanifl Centre offers ‘Faculty-Led’ Study Abroad programmes that cover a wide range of topics – Environmental Science, Ecology, Comparative Traditions, Cultural Immersion, Creative Writing in the Himalaya, Language Study, etc. A select list of institutions that visit us regularly for such programmes include:
- University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Noble and Greenough School, Boston
- Yale – NUS College, Singapore
- Boston College, Massachusetts
- Latin School of Language, Chicago
- Goshen College, Indiana
- Himalayan Natural History
- Treks to the source of the Ganges, to mountain wildlife reserves and to remote, high altitude temples.
- Projects on endangered species and human/animal relations at Corbett National Park.
- Field study projects on Himalayan animals in their natural environment, including elephants, swamp deer, mountain goats, blue sheep and various species.
- Ethno botanical research on Ayurvedic medicinal herbs and plants, and participatory research on Himalayan healing practices.
- Guest lectures on history, folklore, music and literature by scholars from local universities as well as a number of writers, scholars and artists based in Mussoorie.Field trips to Navdanya, an internationally recognized NGO focused on the fight against bio piracy and protecting biodiversity.
Offering includes an immersion in contemporary India that helps build understanding of India’s socio-economic complexity, diversity and scale. This programme includes:
- Research trips to some of the most important pilgrimage centres in North India, including Haridwar, Rishikesh and Gangotri.
- Participation in daily activities of Himalayan village life, with a focus on agriculture, education, natural resource management and the gendered nature of work.
- Participant observation in a range of activities – religious, musical, culinary, literary and eco-tourism – that exemplify the way in which ecology and culture intersect in the Himalaya.
- Field trip to Songtsen Library and Happy Valley to learn about the Tibetan community in exile and the educational work of the Tibetan Homes Foundation.
- Writing techniques and exchange of ideas in a workshop based environment.
- Guided walks to introduce participants to Mussoorie and the surrounding areas. The instructor leads discussions on various aspects of writing from “choosing a topic” to “finding an authorial voice” or “editing a first draft.”
- The focus will be on fiction and non-fiction prose. A separate workshop in poetry or screenwriting may be offered too.
In association with the world renowned Landour Language School in Mussoorie, Hanifl Centre can offer a detailed study of Indian languages, including Hindi, Urdu and Garhwali.
Currently, Hanifl Centre’s Study Abroad programme is offered during both the fall and summer. Our fall programme covers an entire semester and comprises extensive classroom and field based instruction as described in the narrative above. The summer program typically lasts about 4-6 weeks starting mid-May and is intense as well as fast paced. From 2016, we will be in a position to offer a spring semester option as well.
- Transport: Hanifl Centre will coordinate all logistical arrangements for participants, including airport pick up/drop at New Delhi and excursions during the programme.
- Food: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner will include a vegetarian and non-vegetarian option. There will also be coffee/tea/juice twice a day. Filtered drinking water (through Aquaguard) will be provided. Bottled water can be made available at cost.
- Lodging: Lodging for students will be in bunk beds in the dormitory block. Staff housing is in guest rooms that have ensuite toilet/bathroom.
- Field trips/ Excursions: All equipment or gear required for field trips are available at Hanifl Centre. These include backpacks, sleeping bags, sleeping mats, tents etc.
- Medical: The Health Centre with 16 beds is located on Woodstock campus which is 1 km away from the Hanifl Centre. There is an ambulance on site and a nurse on duty 24×7. Our Centre also has an agreement with the Landour Community Hospital (1 km from Woodstock) for all medical emergencies.
- Safety and Security: Hanifl Centre has 24-hour security guarding its campus.
- Internet Facilities: The campus has Wi-Fi connectivity.